Saturday, March 07, 2009

This is not my beautiful wife!

So I decided to go ahead and join a 24 Hour Fitness here in Austin, my new homeland.  I guess technically I was a Bally's member back in H-town, but I sort of stopped going after a while.  But kept the membership.  Why do people do that?

Long story short, I am getting married, and my mother thinks it would be a great idea for my to lose 40 LBS! by the time I get married (on 1/9/10 for those of you counting down).  I mean, that's a lovely thought, and 40 LBS! would get me down to the smallest I've been in my adult (read: post high school) life, but it seems daunting.  Mom keeps reminding me that I have "totally done this before" and that she knows I've "got it in me", but she doesn't realize that the time I did this before, I had a boyfriend who gave me such low self esteem, I HAD to work out and diet or I would just cry all the time.  Literally, on days I would have to skip my workout I would have little anxiety attacks and obsess about it all the live long day.  But I mean, I was a size 6 so I probably should have been happy about it.  

Now I have this nice boyfriend who loves me a lot.  If I told him that I decided to wear a white trash bag to the wedding, I bet he would say he would still marry me.  And he would mean it.

But I figure I will at least try it anyway.  If I lose let's say, 10 lbs before the wedding I will be pleased.  Maybe 40 LBS! can be a hypothetical goal.  I will keep you posted.  If I get really ambitious maybe I can make a pie chart.  Mmmm....pie....

Today I actually did go to the gym.  I've decided that the biggest perk of the gym is that they have cable tv (unlike Aneil, and I guess now, me!) so I can watch The Daily Show in the mornings.   Today was one of those bizarre Tori episodes of Saved by the Bell.  Have you guys read Chuck Klosterman's hilarious Saved by the Bell essay in his book, Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs?  It addresses "The Tori Paradox".  You should check it out.  

But okay, I wonder what part of my day will make me happier?  My 40 minute, 400-calorie burning workout, or gorging on crepes with my insanely beautiful friend Kat later today, or when my cutie boyfriend gets home later and gives me hugs...hmmm.

I am going to a "Girls Night Out" tonight with new girls I don't know very well plus all their friends.  Pray for me.

XOXO,
Shells


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I am so glad you are blogging again Shelley! Keep me posted!!!!! :) (Adrienne)

Meena said...

Even though I think that you'll make a beautiful bride just the way you are right now...I wanted to let you know that I use this website, SparkPeople.com, that I love. It's a healthy lifestyle site, helping you with diet plans (very do-able, especially if you live in the U.S.)and exercise plans, along with encouraging emails and helpful tips.

Emily Gribnau said...

Hey Shelley! Reading this post made me miss our jogs in Herman Park. To bad we don't live close to eachother anymore. We could go out with Annie in the jogging stroller and I could work on my baby weight while you get ready for the wedding. :-( Miss you!