Friday, April 28, 2006

why'd you choose such a backward time in such a strange land?

So I’ve been jamming to my recent purchase “Jesus Christ Superstar” a lot this week, and it’s got me thinking (likely blasphemous) things. First, I feel really bad for Judas (makes sense, as “Superstar” is mostly told from his point of view). I mean, Jesus was his pal. He was in his inner circle and was at the last supper and everything! They were BFF. Then he turned him into the priests and ultimately doomed him to death. Man, that was a bonehead move. I wouldn’t dream of betraying any of my friends, especially if their life was on the line, but I mean, surely Judas never thought he would do that either…Sucks for him that his best pal happened to be the Son of God. Oops. Poor, poor Judas.

I also was thinking about the time and place of the events and the relatively small (in the grand scheme of things) number of people who got to interact with Jesus. Made me think, wow it’s crazy that so many people have faith that this man was the Son of God, when he was from such a seemingly random place and time and whose years of teaching were so limited. At first I felt like it is such a random strange thing to believe in, that I wondered why I had faith in it to begin with (purely on an intellectual level…like, why would I believe in someone who was crucified because people thought he was a lunatic?). But then I thought, maybe the fact that it WAS so seemingly small and random and strange yet has somehow endured and been documented and carried on through generations that makes it even more believable. Like, there must have been something unbelievably amazing about Jesus that made some people believe in him, and made others so afraid of him and his power. And it was all so amazing and awesome that it has endured as truth for all these years. I dunno, something to think about I guess. I should probably read more about it, in lieu of jamming. But I have to admit, I like thinking of Jesus as a “superstar”.

In other less philosophical news, I am going to Austin this weekend for darling brown boy’s birthday party. I am really looking forward to it, and to giving him his super sweet present.

Only other topics of note:

This was my last week of lecture. I have one final in 2 weeks and 1 take home final, so shouldn’t be too bad.

Why are celebrities so into procreating lately? I mean, Britney Spears? Again? Good grief.

Innertube tummie is getting out of control and may indeed take over my entire body at any moment. Need to work out need to work out.

Goodnight and goodluck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yaaa...also mary...the walking on water... but hey. its all faith right?

but i agree intellectually its like hard to believe. haha.