Monday, February 13, 2006

let's have bizarre celebrations

I really intend to post entries all the time, I am just never home. And for those few precious hours I AM home, apparently I find it necessary to watch Project Runway and/or do homework in lieu of blogging. Bleh. Okay so very much has occurred since previous post. I will do my best to provide bulleted lists of events + highlights + personal observations to facilitate ease of reading.

1. I went to Dallas for my friend Deborah’s wedding. I got to ride there with my darling Adrienne (my college roomie) so it was good to catch up with her. I also noted that once we were in the hotel (we shared a room) within 3 minutes it looked exactly like our dorm room. Her side was neat and organized and she had things like lint rollers and hair dryers. Meantime my side was a complete mess and I had items like Junior Mints and 4 pairs of shoes. Oh well. This is basically us:

It’s easy to guess which one I am.

Okay, so we got to Dallas and ate at my favorite Dallas place, Café Brazil. It is one of my favorite breakfast places. In fact, here is where it ranks in my all time top 5 breakfasts list (yes I am truly a fat girl, as I keep track of things like this):

1. The Spinach Frita with fruit and a bagel that I had at Katz's in Austin with Amanda post-SXSW.
2. The breakfast at the hip SF diner in the Mission that Amanda and I chanced upon that had the delicious potatoes and herb cream gravy on the biscuits.
3. The Breakfast Sampler that I would always get on late night trips to IHOP with Brett. Her would always eat my bacon and sausage, but I always got the same thing and it was so fun.
4. Pancake breakfast-in-bed that Aneil made me in Sept. They were perfectly golden brown, and he bought the syrup you heat up in the bottle.
5. El Gordo crepes with Erik.

I was so excited that I took a picture of my delicious El Gordo crepes:

Also I want to point out that I did not take a single picture of the wedding itself. This is because I am a) worthless b) the worst photographer ever and c) hate stopping the action to take pictures when I am enjoying myself. I am assuming that professional photos will be circulating soon so you can all see how gorgeous Deborah looked and whatnot. Meantime here is a sampling of the completely useless pictures I did manage to take:

Erik fusing Flashdance and MC Hammer shit (The Office, anyone? Anyone?):

And myself doing the same thing but trying to do the arm spin move:

Since I have no actual wedding photos here is one of Deb’s bridal portraits so you can check her out. I like this one because it’s sort of artsy:


2. Newest best friend tradition is The Bachelor Monday. I decided to combine it with Taco Tues and came up with Mexican Monday. I made delicious tacos and dessert and my apt was filled to the brim with estrogen. I think in total there were 8 girls and we all yelled catty remarks at the tv the entire time. Yaaay. Last Monday was Chili Dog Monday, and was just as delicious. The Bachelor is so remarkably embarrassing. It’s great. This week was even more mortifying, as the Bachelor visited all the girls’ families. Most of them were mean. Ha.

3. I went to Dallas for Sean’s surprise (sort of) birthday party. Was lovely. I like how now that we are old grownups we are fans of the “dinner party”. Really I think it’s just that me and Carol like to hostess and/or make cakes and appetizers, but whatever. We got to hang out for a long time and there was delicious food and cake and karaoke and good times for all.



4. School has started and is already super-busy. My Statistics prof is methodical and engineer-like so that’s refreshing. My Finance prof is just a mess and her class exasperates me somewhat. Hope I survive the semester.

5. I think I’ve managed to at least stop the westward expansion of my ass, so that’s good. I tried to count weight watchers points like my coworker friend, Karen, but it’s really hard. Apparently I am accustomed to eating 758 points per day, when you are only allowed 22. UGH. Might be a losing battle, but I will fight nonetheless.

6. Why does the song “Relax” by Frankie goes to Hollywood get radio airplay? It is dirty dirty dirty. “relax don’t do it when you want to come…” Yes Frankie, I get it. Gross.

7. Everyone seems to have drama-rama lately but I’m coasting along just fine so that’s sort of made me paranoid. It might just be that I got 28 yrs worth of drama in the last 6 months of 2005, so I am due a break. If you are having drama, I love you so don’t panic. None of us know who/what/with whom/where we want to be, so you’re in good company.

8. I’m currently crazy about Of Montreal. 60’s-esque psych-pop. “What a shock”, you think to yourself.

9. I’m also wild about “Project Runway” and plan to go to Chloe’s shop this weekend…it’s in Rice Village!!! She and Daniel are my favorites, and I’m relieved they sent Nick home. Also sort of love Santino because he has a lot of ideas but no execution skills (like me!)

Okay that’s all for now. I promise to get back to normal posting soon. Smooch.

4 comments:

wm said...

this posting was all i had hoped for and more. thank you sweet shelley, thank you.

Bo Nash said...

The Gordo Crepes are like crack, but more addictive. I almost wish I still worked near a Cafe Brazil.

My friends Carol and April got me hooked on Project Runway. Or as you say in a Heidi Klum voice, "Pwoject Wunway!" I have a crush on Chloe, but I think Daniel should probably win. And my Tim impression is better than Santonio's. So there.

You have the best blog posts ever. But don't stop apologizing for them, because even your apologies are devilishly cute.

Anonymous said...

well it was well worth teh wait. but dont make me wait anymore. i like that you combined days and foods to make mexican monday. i missed the most recent PR, and i am sad to learn here that Nick is off! i loved him. he was my favorite. i like chloe, but i alwasy feel bad for her bc she never wins. shes always like second place. its always "oh i really like chloes dress, so simple, so nice, she knows a womans body. but lets give it to the strokes look alike guy bc his shirt top looks like it exploded just like a flower." anyway. of montreal is awesome.

Misplaced Texan said...

I am so sad not to live near a Cafe Brazil anymore. There are 5 of them that I know of in the Dallas area, and not one in Montana. Everything I have ever had there is great, I love the french tost with the fruit on top.