Saturday, August 05, 2006

make it work!


About time for a posty-post. Thanks for all your babe-I-love-you-so-please-don’t-go comments from previous entry. My blog self esteem is renewed, and I feel rejuvenated and prepared to “carry on”.

This has actually been a pretty good week. Last weekend my darling brown boy made a special guest appearance. We went out 2 nights in a row! This is quite a feat for us, and I think qualifies us for at least 2-3 hermit-like weekends. At any rate, we ate dinner with my lovely former coworkers from the plant. Not my grownup-in-their-30’s coworkers, but the ones that are actually my age. (My collection of friends is so varied and eclectic, sometimes it boggles the mind.) I was real excited that my pal from A&M, Ben, was there too, as I miss him and his charming cynicism. Oh the joys of the chemical plant! We also feasted a-plenty on fajitas…my first fajita experience at Pappasito’s. I had never really cared for the place but now Aneil and I are in love with the fajitas (that come with an inexplicable yet surprisingly delicio-so side of drawn butter! On chicken/beef! Ooooh how my tummy smiled!). We also played pool, and I feel as though my I-can’t-play-this-game mental block has disappeared, because I was suddenly not-sucky at it. Oh also, the pool hall (in beautiful Clear Lake) was really ghetto, sort of in a high school JD/Lake Charles non-threatening way. A window was broken…a fight broke out in the parking lot…the bartender had a Vanilla Ice haircut…but it was all sort of charming in a strange way. We also found ourselves in Midtown/River Oaks later that night to meet up with other engineering pal, Rob (reference my T/A super post dated sometime in October). Hard to believe we lasted till 2am! Ooooh and then Sat night was Thai feaaaast with Maria & Casey. Yummie. Also tons of drinky drinks at The Kelvin Arms (pub that Erik likes). We discovered a Ms. Pac-Man table!!! And then our boys abandoned us for Golden Tee Golf for the rest of the night. Oh well.

Only 1 more week of this MIS class (praise be!). I can’t wait until it’s over!!! Although I have enjoyed my study team in this class, as they are all older than me and therefore cynical and funny. At any rate, no more classes, just 1 presentation and the final exam. Thank Goodness!

I got a promotion at work! I will now be an Engineer II (oooooh!). Apparently I am worth far more money than one would think. It’s pretty damn ridiculous. On Wednesday I booked me and my mom for $100 pedicures…extravagant!...to celebrate. Oh my God, am I a yuppie?

This week was the big Project Runway “someone will be disqualified” episode. I gotta say, I was expecting a lot more catty drama, but it was overall pretty anti-climactic. Keith, the arrogant judges’ favorite, apparently was in possession of fashion how-to books, which apparently are illegal. Kayne, the pageant dress designer ratted him out to producers. Overall pretty lame. Although, Tim Gunn did mention that he snuck out of the apartment one time, and another time was caught using the internet…probably some much juicier stories there, but no details were mentioned. So goodbye Keith, I will miss your delightful bitchiness and the amazing hatred you inspired from Mom-bot. At any rate, one of the sort of boring designers got the boot for making a sort of boring outfit in a sort of boring fashion show. (And where oh where is Michael Kors???) The producers definitely should have dragged out the Keith drama more. Luckily Angela is still around to be all kooky and weird with her craftsy couture and Vincent is still around, and constantly on the verge of a meltdown…all delicious tv. Plus, I giggle pretty much every time Tim makes a speech…and his blog is probably a little better than the show.

Okay, and I am hesitant to be so forward-thinking and live only for my future plans (as opposed to living in the moment, I guess) but I just can’t help it! Here’s why:

1) Ameeeeee is in Houston and I will be seeing her tonight! Oh there will be joyfully large helpings of tex-mex and girl chat.

2) Next weekend I get to see brown boy + get a much needed haircut + get to see the fabulous new preeemium outlet mall in Round Rock that Aneil has been working on for several months…I’m so excited, and I fully intend to purchase something at the Michael Kors store and the Coach store! (Oh my God, I AM a yuppie!)

3) The following weekend, mom and I are taking a luxurious spa retreat weekend in San Antonio! That means posh hotel, riverwalk, facials and pedicures and massages, even more tex-mex, and AMANDA!

4) The following weekend is Maria’s Northgate birthday fest. Oh the chuggers! Oh the Ms. Pac-Man! Oh the Aggie excitement!

5) The following weekend is my first-ever trip to Colorado, with my grown-up former plant coworkers. It will be a girls’ retreat and I am hoping to hike, drink a lot of gin/light beer, and read a novel if I can fit it in.

6) Then 2 weeks later is ACL festivus! Friday’s lineup is just too too much for me to handle and I will have to miss out on some top notch acts due to double booking. Doh. Plus lots n’ lots of best friends will be in attendance. I cannot wait!

Okay, so all in all things are moving along pretty well. I really just think I am “so over” my computer class and am flush with the end-is-near excitement. I finished “The Kite Runner”. It was pretty good for the first 1/3, but basically faded into sentimental say whaaat? by the end. (Felt like my 10th grade “Grapes of Wrath” what-the-hell-is-that-ending-about? experience.) Just started “The History of Love” by Nicole Krauss. Anyone read it?

Anywhooo, I miss everyone a lot, and don’t talk to you nearly enough. Let’s chat/hang out soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok well
1. i always get ditched for golden tee. its pretty lame. alex and dan have a running tally going of wins-losses-ties, so i get ditched a lot - which i dont mind. watching golden tee = boring, but i cant play bc they take it too serious. ha.
2. no more class = awesome.
3. congratulations on the promotion! i cant wait for financial independence, having never made money myself i will pretend that through you i have as you are my investment. and you should definitely buy a coach bag. i love mine. its classic and goes with everything. however mine is all leather no fabric or anything. it is also something i bought solely on my own when iwas working and i hate to fight an old lady for it. haha.
4. i like that they have vera wang for micheal kors. lends some credibility to teh show as i consider her a more respectable designer. except she doesnt make near enough bitchy comments.
5. i kinda miss kieth i liked how exasperated he was with all the challenges. but i guess thats only bc he had the cheaters books to help him out. and i really wanted the hip kids allison and tattoo neck guy to win as i hate angela. what does tattoo neck guys neck say? i think it has teh word "detroit" in it, which confuses me.
6. Tell Amee HI!
7. Cant wait to see you and yo' mama! i will be in CC (to get car ?) but i will come back up to hang and take you to fancy bars and maaybe we could go eat KOREAN BBQ!
8. i cant wait for ACL and i really want you to meet CC people.
9. miss you all the time really.
ok bye.

jasembera said...

congratulations, woman!! and no i am not just saying this because amanda told her blogging readership to do so.

seriously woman, congratulations. you totally deserve it.

Erik said...

congrats on your new promotion. maybe i'll get one of those one day. :).

also, that is a GALAGA table at kelvin arms. if you sat on the side closest to the wall, you can thank my friend mac for fixing the button.