Tuesday, May 16, 2006

try a little...tenderness...

Hi gang!

Sorry my blogging slacked off post-finals. Since I am no longer confined to my apt to work on take home test, I apparently have less time for procrastination...i.e. blogging.

Therefore I have many topics to discuss and embarrassing obsessions to relay.

1) Why oh why are former boyband members allowed to record albums? Have any of you heard the latest from O-town's Ashley Parker Angel (why is that not a girl name?) or 98 deg's Nick Lachey? Oh good grief, they are awful awful awful.

2) I am pretty sure I’ve brought it up before, but what the hell happened to Billy Ocean? That guy was basically like the second coming of Lionel Richie, but he had some great tunes…he even had the equivalent of “Dancing on the Ceiling” with his “Get Out of My Dreams Get Into My Car.” Billy, if you are bored and googling your name and this blog pops up, you should know that you still have fans who love you and want you to record again! The new millennium needs its own “Caribbean Queen.”

3) Peach cobbler (a la mode) may be the best dessert ever.

4) Taylor on American Idol just sang the Otis Redding song that I have been obsessed with for 2 solid months…”Try a Little Tenderness.” I will be shattered if he doesn’t win this thing. Also I think his song choice is further evidence that he and I are meant to be (don’t tell Aneil).

5) Everyone makes fun of the fact that I never ever watch movies, and apparently am therefore useless. But I watched a shocking number of movies this weekend…although the proportion of movies starring Queen Latifah is really high.

“Last Holiday” – Queen Latifah is diagnosed with a brain tumor and 1 month to live, she cashes in her bonds, goes to a resort, and ironically learns how to live! I loved it.

“Pride and Prejudice” – I don’t know why but I loooove this story and I loooooved this version…could Keira Knightly be any cuter? Mom insists on using the subtitles for pretty much every movie we watch, but we tried this one sans titles at first. When for the first few scenes even I had trouble understanding what the heck they were saying, I look over at mom, ask her if she understands, and she says “no pretty much nothing, thank God I already know the story.” Then she says “the only one I kind of understand is Donald Sutherland”…whom I pointed out is the only American in the movie…needless to say we added the subtitles, and really picked up on all the nuances, i.e. dialog…did any of you kids see it? Did you have a huge crush on Darcy? Also, did the giggly sisters drive you insane like they did me? Did you strangely miss Colin Firth, just because he usually shows up in movies like these? Just checking.

“The Family Stone” – Sarah Jessica Parker is dating that weird looking guy from “My Best Friend’s Wedding” and has to meet his family…including Luke Wilson, Diane Keaton, and Coach. Also the girl from “The Notebook” who is just too cute for words. Unfortunately the rest of the cast of “Coach” couldn’t make it to the family Christmas.

“Beauty Shop” – Since we were so charmed by the Queen in “Last Holiday” we went back to the store and got this one…also adorable…and the hottt guy from Amistad was the dreamy African electrician/classical piano player who lives upstairs and just happens to fall for our heroine. Yes!

“Walk the Line” – Everyone else in my family hated it, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. But then again, I do looove rock n’ roll. And Johnny Cash is real damn cool. And the performances truly were Oscar worthy.

And I watched…for the first time…”Jesus Christ Superstar”…It was everything I hoped it would be…strange and cheesy and pretty and psychedelic and blasphemous and religious all at the same time. Jesus was teeny tiny but rocked out his angry solo. And Judas was fantastic. I loooooved it of course.

Okay, sadly, this sums me up. I am going to Fro’s graduation on Friday and then Dallas (!) for Six Flags fun on Monday. Plus I get to spend an entire week with my darling brown boy, so I’m really really excited. Mmmk that’s all…peace out.

6 comments:

Shelley said...

Yeah I actally saw that due to my crushes on both Scarlett Johannsen and Colin Firth and it was terrible!!! I think I took a nap and made a cheese sandwich during it and didnt miss any action.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD i told you i loooved that version of pride and prejudice due to the ever so hot mr. darcy. i am in love with him. siiiigh. i wish i could marry him. why cant i be in a jane austen novel. siiiiiigh
miss youuuuu.

Bo Nash said...

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with this post, but I saw this story and thought of you. I had to pass it along:

Baghdad's Lionel Richie Obsession

Anonymous said...

I agree on all points concerning that pride and prejudice movie

Bo Nash said...

One full month with no new Shelleriffic posts. What gives? Don't you love your adoring public anymore?

jasembera said...

bloooooooog. please?