Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Home is where i want to be, but I guess I'm already there

Hello world!

Well here I am in the new apartment. Seriously though, it doesn't really feel like I moved at all, since it’s the exact same apartment layout, only 2 doors away from my old one. It has some “upgrades” to flooring and accessories (I must admit the bathroom and kitchen look much fancier), but all in all not worth the effort of moving at all. I am hoping that my next move will be into a place that I actually own, such that I can’t be evicted on a whim.

My darling brown boy, mom, and Fro came over and helped me pack and move the majority of stuff. Aneil also scrubbed the bathroom in the old apartment, so I’m pretty sure I owe him everlasting love and affection. My engineer friend Dan brought his cute kids over and they were really helpful as well. Shelby also did an excellent job rearranging my refrigerator magnets. Lamonica got there just in time to watch us all collapse from exhaustion, but I love her for making the effort anyway.

School has been extremely busy, but my biodiesel start-up company project is going well. The company owners are excited about our work and I think they are going to have us act as financial advisors when they meet with the bank to get their loan! This sounds lame-o but I am sort of excited about it. Now I know how to project financials and value a company and build a business plan to take to a bank. I am very proud!

My other classes are coasting along. Lots of work, but I am done with everything by the end of the month, so huzzah!

I am trying out this new self-improvement program: Complaint Free World. I read about it in my mom’s People magazine. Basically, it takes 21 consecutive days to form a habit, so the objective is to wear this little purple bracelet and try not to complain/gossip/criticize/bitch for 21 days. Every time you mess up, you switch the bracelet to the other wrist and start over! Apparently it has taken people months and months to actually accrue 21 days of not complaining. I mean, I realize that it is a futile effort (Amee even pointed out that we won’t have ANYTHING to talk about if we can’t gossip or complain), but I am hoping that it will help me have a more positive outlook in general. Also the church that started up the whole thing has really cute and completely inoffensive beliefs.

Not much else going on. Am still completely obsessed with American Idol. I have had 2 dreams in which contestants have made cameo appearances. If you want to hear about it, ask me. All I will say is that in one of them, I HELD HANDS (!) with a contestant, and if you know me, you know that's about as risque as my dreams get. Ha.

In an effort to unload some unwanted books from my overflowing library, I'm making an effort to read the chick-lit type books that I have either bought on a whim or received as a gift. I figure I should read them, but probably won't keep them when I'm done, thus reducing the burden on my bookshelf. They almost make me feel dumb because I kind of get involved in the stories and enjoy them, while simultaneously knowing that I have gotten absolutely nothing out of the book whatsoever. But I like some of them. Hmm. Anywho, here's my recent reading list:

The Year of Yes - Memoir in which girl says "yes" to literally anyone who asks her out for one year. I actually liked this one somewhat. The author tries too hard to seem cerebral though. Lots of obnoxious literary references. Lame.

The Room-mating Season - Good grief, this book was stupid. Also lots of awkward romance-novel-ish scenes in which our heroines do it with older men. Blech. The only high point was the fact that sometimes the author would refer to a character by stating their full name and then a key personality trait, like, "Shelley Ewing always was the intelligent one of the group. Yet she had a sparkle in her big brown eyes that suggested something more." Hahahaha. Reminded me of my good old Sweet Valley High books I loved at age 12.

The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing - I actually liked this one, and it occasionally had charming insights and good sentences. Reading the section in the middle about her dad was painful, but I can actually reccommend this one.

The Lovely Bones - Dead girl watches her family from heaven. Just started this, but it's basically a Lifetime movie so far.

Anywho, I should get back to watching America's Next Top Model reruns. I realize that the quality of my reading and tv watching material have taken a nosedive recently, but I really can't handle much more mentally taxing activities until school is done. In the meantime, I love: chick-fil-a shakes, halfprice books, hanging out with Erik, my family, and brown boy supreme. I am omitting the "I hate" segment of the blog due to aforementioned attempt not to complain. Listen to your Talking Heads and smile! Oh what I wouldn't give for a Talking Heads-themed week on American Idol!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"And you may tell yourself: This is not my beautiful house! And you may ask yourself, well...how did I get here?!"

Anonymous said...

i love that you read for fun even when you are busy. i dont think ive read a "fun" book the entire time ive been in law school. lame-o. i dont get american idol. i mean sunjaya? why lord why. miss you much, i am working on easter plans....xoxo.

wm said...

so do you prefer a discounted cash flow (DCF) analysis, or something more along the lines of EBITDA comparables?

Anonymous said...

Um I love you. I love the reviews of the books you have been reading. Also I am totally obsessed with America's Next Top Model. I totally have a love/hate relationship with Tyra!

lightie said...

Thanks for the book reviews!! I'm always looking for book suggestions....
I'm buying a house and it's scary.

That's all :)