Friday, June 30, 2006

i can't do this all on my own...













Oh so many update items!

My brilliant, although at times exasperating brother, Fro, has apparently ACED his MCAT test. He informed me of this with a phone call at approximately 11:45 Tuesday night (yes, I was asleep). Our exchange was roughly like this:

“Hey Shell, guess what I got a (not to be revealed but rest assured well above average score) on the MCAT. I was worried I screwed it up, since I didn’t really study this time.”

(Yawning). “That’s cool, Fro. Yeah, we Ewings have a “standardized test” gene that pulls us through regardless of lack of preparation. That’s awesome.”

“Yeah, I am pretty excited, so yeah okay I’ll let you sleep”

“Umm okay. You rule!”

After waking up in the morning I checked with Amee (whose sister is in Med school) to see if Fro’s score was any good, seeing as I know nothing about med school admissions, and she said it is a great score, and he will get into a school for sure! So of course I cried a little, as I am emotional all the time, apparently. But see, my dad always wanted to be a doctor, but didn’t get into school the first try, then got married and had most adorable baby ever (me) so he gave up his dream. It’s sort of great that my brother is going to be able to fulfill that dream now, and my dad would be so dang proud. *Tears*

Hmmm. Just realized that having nicknames (a la “Fro”) for all my friends would make blogging more fun. If you regularly read this, or we regularly hang out, shoot me a comment with your preferred nickname, and I will attempt to incorporate it into subsequent entries.

In other news, I have one more online exam and I am done with my law and ethics class. My brief (hahahahaha) encounter with law made me really appreciate the trials (hahahahaha) and tribulations of my law school darlings. I am also convinced based on all my future-yuppie best friends’ school experiences that I could be a doctor a lot more easily than I could be a lawyer. I would suuuuck at law. But now I know what a tort is, and I know that the statute of frauds requires a contract to sell a good for greater than $500 to be in writing, so my life is basically complete.

Last night I went and saw Tilly and the Wall with Kevin, Jason (Kevin’s pal + A&M chemE), and Maria. We were 4 of the maybe 8 people at the bar who were of legal drinking age, so yeah, we were feeling a little old. Maria and I had lil crush on the opening band’s bass player (love those bass players) solely because he was wearing a button up shirt with an enormous cobra iron-on. (Which we have decided to attempt to craft for our own darling boyfriends.) Closer inspection revealed that he was probably roughly 19 years old, but whatever. Tilly and the Wall was charming charming charming as ever, and did not let me down and did indeed dance around and throw copious amounts of glitter. Maria developed a huge crush on their cute tap dancer, who sported a hot pink tutu, and managed to pull it off nicely. Kevin decided to propose marriage to the lead singer (unless of course Pam from “The Office” is suddenly available). It was grand and glorious fun, and you gotta love a band that can make a 25 year old cynical lil career girl to jump and dance and scream out the lyrics “I want to fuck it up! I want to fuck it up….yeah I feel so alive, yeah I feel so alive!” repeatedly. I felt 16 again.

I also just realized that I haven’t posted an Ayn Rand progress chart recently. It’s because I haven’t read any more since that posting. I officially blame school and the ridiculous amounts of reading involved, but I think more accurately, Atlas Shrugged is just to damned exhausting for me. Foiled again! Maybe I’ll try again next year.

Okay, I should study for my final exam. I looove you all and will return in 5 days!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on your brother!! Now that I'm past all the hard stuff, I can say that med school is way cool and fun and eenteresting.
also...
I would like to be called Boogie or Big Mo.
...thanks

jasembera said...

i really love genius-families. like, when you learn your genius friend has genius brothers and sisters. it makes me really happy.

i want to see you again before the year 2014. is this too much to ask?

ooooooh you and Dream Boy should visit california. ooooooh.