Monday, July 06, 2009

Me likey

I really like sushi.  I appreciate the deliciousness of fancy, fresh, yummy sushi.  But it is pricey.  And sometimes you want the cheap grocery store stuff, just because you start to miss the taste of seaweed and wasabi in the interim period during which you are saving your pennies for your next fancy sushi meal.

I will sometimes eat HEB sushi.  It is gross, but I get desperate, okay?


But I discovered this place off of Mopac (I think the annoying shopping center it's in is called Arbor Walk) and Braker called Maki.  It's sort of like the sushi cousin of Freebirds.  You pick a wrapper (traditional or this crazy looking tofu stuff), you pick a meat (I like tuna), 3 veggies, and a sauce (I looove their spicy mayo),and they roll it in front of you.  And they have a magic sushi cutting machine.  I realize that purists may think this is a travesty, but the process engineer in me likes the efficiency.  Add a $1 bowl of edamame and a drink, and you can have a FEAST for all of $8.50.  Definitely better than grocery store, although you can't expect it to be gourmet.  Love the concept though.


No comments: