Wednesday, September 13, 2006

ain't no mountain high enough

I’m back down to sea level and have had a hectic work-school-birfday-project runway filled week, so this is my first chance to post.

Colorado (specifically Estes Park) was pretty fabulous looking. Like, if Houston is the awkward somewhat smelly guy in your homeroom that you think is nice, but ultimately hope to avoid, Estes Park is the great looking jock with big muscles who is surprisingly nice to everyone. For example, here is the view from the house where we stayed:

The mountains are just THERE, like, just so brazen and THERE. Purple mountain majesty, right there in your face. They are gorgeous and make you feel really really small. Also they air is noticeably cleaner, and lacking in those charming evil particulates I am used to inhaling every day. Although when hiking up small hills I would get winded. Apparently I am an oxygen pig.

The first day there, me + Kim + Dona + Val went to town for burgers and cookies and shopping galore. As a nod to Angela’s “auf”-ing on Project Runway, I let the “crazy necktie lady” at the craft fair dress me up in crafsty couture made exclusively with neckties fashioned into rosettes. I actually look sort of cute, I think. Of course I purchased the hat, although I have absolutely nowhere to wear it. Hmm.


Next day we actually hiked about the national park. It was a lil exhausting, but super fun and really pretty. I kind of got carried away taking pictures, but I couldn't help it. Here are my girls in front of the waterfall we found:


That's Dona (former boss), Kim (engineering guru), and Val (super cool animal loving role model).

I also was real enamored by the elk. If you would like to view my 5 million photos of elk, I will be happy to send them to you. Apparently it is elk mating season, so they were out and about. Here are 2 fellas fighting over a girl, or something:


I also fell in love with these Aspen trees, because their leaves sparkle in the wind/sun. Here I am making myself at home with a clump of them:


So the trip was a success! And I returned for a couple of days only to leave again on Friday for mom's birthday in Lake Charles. We had much fun, with pistolettes, and redneck karaoke, and mom's spectacular roast beef, and birfday cake and best frens. Much fun indeed.

And after another crazy work/school week, I am headed out tomorrow for ACL festivus. If you are in Austin, we must hang out. I can't wait!

In summary, this week I hate: the (non-walk-in) closet-like size of my new cubicle, the fact that I watched a "Flavor of Love" marathon, and my upcoming Marketing midterm. This week I love: Jif peanut butter, the American version of The Office, soap that smells like apples, and crawfish pistolettes.

Gotta go (re)pack. Lub to all!

4 comments:

Bo Nash said...

Why, oh why did you have to mention mom's roast beef? It's SOOOO good, and I'm SOOOO hungry! I'm jealous.

If you know anyone who needs a festivus ticket, give me a call. I have to go to Bloomington, Illinois for work and won't be able to go. I'm so sad I'm going to miss you!

Also, you and your coworkers are really hot outdoorsy chicks.

Off weiners then!

Diane said...

:) this entry made me smile like 5 times. what is a crawfish pistolette? why do i think of a small gun in the shape of a crustacean?

Anonymous said...

this was a goooood one! i like the backstory about the 2 elk fighting over a girl or something. you are funny. i am glad we are best frens. or else i would be jealous. also colorado looks beautiful! one day when i have an income we should totally take dream vacations together. perhaps europa or somewhere tropical.

i get to see you tomorrow! hooray!

Anonymous said...

I only get to the "former boss". A better nickname next time please or it will count against your performance appraisal (he he)!